Impacts: Peer-reviewed publications derived from research directly supported by NSF grants resulting from proposals submitted or due on or after January 25, 2016.
Timeline: Papers submitted to the NSF repository by PI’s or co-PI’s at research.gov within 12 months of publication are considered compliant.
Who Submits: PI’s or co-PI’s (only)
What to Submit: Peer-reviewed journal manuscripts or juried conference papers accepted for publication. Versions of record may be submitted if author holds copyright (e.g., open access) or has permission.
Format: PDF/A (see below)
Where to Submit: research.gov
Repository: NSF Public Access Repository (NSF-PAR)
- Works must be submitted to the NSF-PAR by the time a project report is submitted, or they cannot be included in the report.
- Principal investigators can submit manuscripts to NSF-PAR while compiling reports. Note: the submission-validation process can take up to six hours.
- Successfully submitted manuscripts automatically appear in project reports.
Saving or Converting to a PDF/A
PDF/A is a specialized format used for archiving and the long-term preservation of electronic documents.
- Word documents may be converted to the PDF/A format through the Save As function.
- PDF documents may be converted to the PDF/A format in Adobe products depending on the application and/or version.
For assistance with Adobe products, please contact the DoIT Helpdesk.
Public Access Service staff are happy to convert documents on request.