Effective: Peer-reviewed works derived from extramural research proposals submitted on/after January 25, 2016
Who Submits: PI’s or co-PI’s (only)
What to Submit: Final, peer-reviewed journal manuscript or juried conference paper accepted for publication. Versions of record may be submitted if author holds copyright (e.g., open access) or has permission.
Format: PDF/A (see below)
Where to Submit: research.gov
Repository: NSF Public Access Repository (NSF-PAR)
Embargo Period: 12 months post-publication
- Works must be submitted to the NSF-PAR by the time a project report is submitted, or they cannot be included in the report.
- Principal investigators can submit manuscripts to NSF-PAR while compiling reports. Note: the submission-validation process can take up to six hours.
- Successfully submitted manuscripts automatically appear in project reports.
Saving or Converting to a PDF/A
PDF/A is a specialized format used for archiving and the long-term preservation of electronic documents.
- Word documents may be converted to the PDF/A format through the Save As function.
- PDF documents may be converted to the PDF/A format in Adobe products depending on the application and/or version.
For assistance with Adobe products, please contact the DoIT Helpdesk.
Public Access Service staff are happy to convert documents on request.